The Alliance for a Just Society’s mission is to execute regional and national campaigns and build strong state affiliate organizations and partnerships that address economic, racial, and social inequities.
The Alliance (formerly the Northwest Federation of Community Organizations), is a national coalition of eight state-based grassroots community organizations including The Center for Intercultural Organizing, Colorado Progressive Coalition, Idaho Community Action Network, Indian People’s Action (Montana), Maine People’s Alliance, Make the Road New York, Montana Organizing Project, Oregon Action, Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada, and Washington Community Action Network.
Building on the proven community organizing success of the Northwest Federation of Community Organizations (NWFCO), Alliance staff and partners set out not only to replicate on a national level the best of NWFCO’s 17 years of praxis, but also to create a progressive infrastructure capable of meeting 21st century challenges to the American dream of liberty and justice for all.
We believe that class, race and gender are the most fundamental divisions in society. We acknowledge that none of these dividing forces can be addressed without working to address all of them simultaneously. The struggle for social justice requires a strong, broad base to defend advances made toward economic justice and, in turn, generate increased power to sustain social change. All of this work depends on developing a core of leaders, educating the public, and building the power for fundamental systemic change.
Our goal is to make the movement stronger by stimulating growth in others and promoting the collective work of our partners. No amount of individual good work will ever transform our society, nor can they equal or replace the efforts that build movement consciousness and capability in others.
Ensuring equal access to power and opportunity, supporting and defending the rights of all people, and eliminating discrimination and oppression.
- We identify and address race, class and gender directly in the training and campaigns that NWFCO supports and runs.
- NWFCO believes we are stronger if we have a diverse board.
- In our decision making we strive to communicate and work together in a way that lets each voice be heard.
Standing up to power, speaking truth, challenging injustice, and acting with conviction, respect and integrity.
- We foster honesty in our interactions with each other, through our partnerships and in the communities where we work.
- Through our campaigns and training we create opportunities for people to speak their truth to power.
We believe that our power and effectiveness depend upon active participation and commitment.
- Grassroots leaders build memberships that have the unity and power to create a just society.
- Staff and leaders collaborate to push forward our vision and develop action plans for change.
Hold those in power and ourselves accountable to our values, vision, and mission. We will uphold this value by working with transparency and inclusiveness.
- We will hold corporations, government and our organizations accountable to make decisions in accord with our values and principles.
- We hold ourselves financially accountable by using organizational resources to achieve NWFCO’s mission.
- We strive to use our resources and power to build a just society.
To win justice, we must build unity by providing opportunities for diverse groups to come together, be heard, and take collective action. We believe that our strength comes from our unity, and that together we have the power to create a just society.
- We strive to build an organizational culture where individuals and communities come together to act in unity for the greater good.
- We work together and communicate in a way that builds our unity and strength.
We see service work as a vehicle to build credibility, demonstrate our commitment to communities, combat defeatism, create opportunities for political education, and organize on a concrete, personal level.
Part of our responsibility is to share information, transfer skills and broaden the base of knowledge so that we can take action together and build a strong movement.